NB: Please read it carefully so that you will understand:
- what the study is about;
- how to do the study in the most meaningful way and
- so that you will benefit to the maximum.
- The Aim of the Sokhanya Bible Program
- The origin of the Sokhanya Program
- The Contents of the Sokhanya Program
- How to go about your studies
- Study in a group
- Guidelines for assessment
- Send in your answer papers
- Some guidelines on doing your studies
- It is no use to try to complete this program as quickly as possible. It is not just about getting a certificate or about learning a few things that you might not have known.
- The study wants to help you to grow spiritually. For that reason one must take time also to think and pray about the things that you learn.
1. The aim of the Sokhanya Bible Program
The Sokhanya Bible Program wants to help you to:
- To gain proper and sound knowledge about the Bible and the Christian life by studying the Bible alone. This program covers the whole Bible. It does not give the teachings of a particular church or tradition.
- To grow spiritually strong by committing yourself to God so that you can serve Him fully. By understanding more about God and what He does for us as the Bible teaches us, we grow in fellowship with God trough the Holy Spirit.
- To be able to use what you gain to build other people up in their faith. As a leader you have to eat the Word of God, as Ezekiel did (Ezekiel 2:4-10) so that you will be able to feed others with the Word (John 21:15). A blind person cannot lead others who are blind Luke 6:39-40).
- To be able to guide the church in the full truth of the Word and to protect it from false teachings and practices.
NOTE: One-sided and superficial knowledge is very dangerous. Many people know only a few things about the Bible that they have heard from other preachers. It is only when you have been touched by the Living Word of God that your own life changes and other people can be changed!
2. The origin of the Sokhanya Program
Local church leaders from different denominations in the Xhosa speaking churches in the Cape-Peninsula came together to plan training for lay preachers. Sokhanya was founded in 1992 as an independent Bible School. It was decided that the Bible will be the only study book. The present Sokhanya study books are the result of class discussions over a period of 25 years. It is structured on the books of the Bible and do not follow any confessional model. Since Sokhanya has from the beginning accommodated believers from all theological traditions, its teachings seek to build bridges of understanding over differences of opinion.
3. The Contents of the Sokhanya Program
a. This Program accepts that you as student have a certain level of knowledge of the Bible. In a program like this it is impossible to deal with every verse and every matter that we find in the Bible.
b. This Program seeks to help you to get a good understanding of how the message and topics and themes of the Bible fit together. It seeks to help you to understand the historical situations that one has to know of to be able to understand what you read in the different parts. It also explains the important cultural and religious background which helps one to understand the Bible.
The Program consists of 15 booklets.
- Module 1/1 What the Bible is and how to read the Bible
- Module 1/2 -1/3 The books of Moses
- Module 1/4 -1/5 The books of the Prophets
- Module 2/1 -2/2 The books of Poetry
- Module 2/3 -2/5 The books of the Gospels
- Module 3/1 -3/2 The books of John
- Module 3/3 -3/5 The books of Paul
Course status and accreditation
- The present Program is not yet accredited on the national system of SAQA. Once the Sokhanya BMP is accredited, we will inform our stakehoders. For more information please contact our office 021 864 8232 (Jerry Sesoko)